This is far from what I wanted to accomplish. I had originally planned to have more interactive features, but with my shortened time due to my other projects from my other classes, this was put on the back burner. I should have managed my time better and asked more questions, though when I did have the time. I feel like I did hit the aesthetic I wanted, but the plugins, specifically the Slick carousal, were difficult to figure out.
1. finishing my images
2. my CSS
3. Slick or jQuery Immersive Slidr or Fervo Slider
Pardon the messy text and lack of pictures. I’m still working on them.
This website is trying to sell different styles of headphones and speakers in a “chose-your-adventure” navigation. Through the use of zoomed in pictures, black and solid colors, and the clearness of the photos, it’s trying to communicate that the headphones are expensive and luxurious. Although it does not specifically allow for the experience of the product, it does allow the viewer to see how soft the headphone pads are and how smooth the band looks. This leads to the ease and comfort of listening to music through the image. The character of the product is fun, but sleek, modern, and sophisticated. The use of close-ups, black, bold, solid colors, sliding bars for the choices, and the ease of looking at different colors and earbuds create this aesthetic. It is convincing to the viewer as an awesome product.
Project 2 Design Comps:
This is how I sort of envision my website. There are a lot of things that need refining and deciding, but that will be easy.
These are three different ways of displaying the information, not necessarily three different ways of aesthetics persay.
This is one idea that uses parallax to first build the Simon game before you can go anywhere.
Overall, I felt my process for project 1 was slow. I felt that I had difficulty narrowing down a single concept, because there were so many things I wanted to try. With the “choose your own adventure” concept, it took a while to finish the concept designs for the website (I originally had 20 pages, but narrowed it down to 14). It was definitely fun figuring out the plot line, though.
For the coding part, I ended up having to relearn some of the CSS stuff from last term and that took me a bit. I was definitely confused with the jQuery plugins and things not taught in class. Trying to find which code I needed for CSS and jQuery from a plugin was really mind-boggling, much less trying to make it work.
Overall, this was a good learning process and I learned a lot more about plugins and jQuery to make an interesting website. I would maybe change my time management more for this project and definitely ask more questions. I would love to have had a demonstration on finding a plugin, figuring out what part of the code to use and how to incorporate it into the website.
I went back in and tried to fix some of my jQuery issues. Some of the work now, but most don’t. Here’s my updated website: http://web.pdx.edu/~kherb2/project1-redshoes-2/
I’m going with the 1980’s Simon game.